The Allman Brothers Band has announced the expanded release of the band’s entire 1970 three-night run at Fillmore East as the latest installment of Bear’s Sonic Journals.
The Allmans were still making a name for themselves when Bill Graham booked them, alongside Love, as openers for the Grateful Dead at the New York City concert hall on February 11th, 13th, and 14th. 1970. Owsley “Bear” Stanley III, the Dead’s soundman, had set up shop for the headlining act and managed to capture the complete opening sets.
While recordings from these concerts were released in 2018 as a single-CD compilation, The Owsley Stanley Foundation is now opening its vaults to release complete recordings of all three Allman Brothers Band opening sets.
The deluxe edition, out on all platforms on June 18th via Orchard Distribution, allows fans to listen until Bear ran out of tape, including gaps in the recordings when the soundman had to change the reel. Of note on these tapes are the three of the earliest recordings of guitarist Dickey Betts‘ instrumental behemoth “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed”.
Mastered from Bear’s original tapes and sonically restored, Bear’s Sonic Journals: Allman Brothers Band Fillmore East February 1970 Deluxe Edition will feature new album art and liner notes, including a series of rare band photos from the Fillmore East in February 1970, original cover artwork (“Electric Mushroom”), and notes from the Allman Brothers Band and the Owsley Stanley Foundation.
Bear’s Sonic Journals: Allman Brothers Band Fillmore East February 1970 Deluxe Edition is available to order now through the Owsley Stanley Foundation website. Scroll down to see a full tracklist and album art, and stream the truncated release from 2018 via the player below.
Bear’s Sonic Journals: Allman Brothers Band Fillmore East February 1970 – Track Listing
1) In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed (Feb. 14) 9:22
2) Hoochie Coochie Man (Feb. 14) 6:05
3) Statesboro Blues (Feb. 11) 4:17
4) Trouble No More (Feb. 11) 4:11
5) Outskirts Of Town (Feb. 13 & 14) 8:30
6) Whipping Post (Feb. 14) 8:11
7) Mountain Jam (Feb. 13 & 14) 30:46
February 11, 1970
1) In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed 11:58
2) Statesboro Blues 4:17
3) Trouble No More 4:42
4) Hoochie Coochie Man 4:35
5) Mountain Jam 18:49 (reel-change gap)
February 13, 1970
1) In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed 7:50
2) Outskirts Of Town 7:48 (end cut)
3) Mountain Jam 18:29 (start cut)
February 14, 1970
1) In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed 9:26
2) Hoochie Coochie Man 5:08
3) Outskirts Of Town 7:57 (reel-change gap)
4) Whipping Post 8:11
5) Mountain Jam 35:01 (reel-change gap)
The Allman Brothers Band – Bear’s Sonic Journals: Fillmore East February 1970