The musical DNA of New Orleans will be the subject of a new documentary, Take Me To The River: New Orleans. Coming soon from director Martin Shore, the film’s soundtrack hosts new contributions from a vibrant mix of NOLA talent including The Neville Brothers, Dr. John, Snoop Dogg, Jon Batiste, and many more. On Friday, filmmakers previewed the soundtrack with a collaboration between Dee-1, Mannie Fresh, Big Freedia, and Galactic, “Act Like You Know”.
Coming on the heels of Shore’s 2014 documentary Take Me To The River profiling the music of Memphis, the director turns his camera to the Crescent City. The feature documentary will examine the vibrant musical history, heritage, legacy, culture, and influence of New Orleans that all mix together in heady gumbo. The soundtrack—out on April 1st via Petaluma Records—will feature new material from PJ Morton, G-Eazy, Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah, Dumpstaphunk, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, William Bell, Ani DiFranco, Donald Harrison, Ledisi, and many more.
The Take Me To The River: New Orleans soundtrack also carves out a special place for NOLA legends The Neville Brothers and the late Dr. John. The expansive 36-track collection hosts new recordings from one of The Neville Brothers’ final performances and one of Dr. John’s final studio sessions.
Additionally, Take Me To The River highlights the emerging 21st-century artists of the Big Easy. The lead single, “Act Like You Know”, does just that as it puts together NOLA mainstay Galactic with rising star Big Freedia alongside Dee-1 and Mannie Fresh. The single offers a stylistic blend indicative of the city that birthed it with bounce beats and hip-hop lyricism laying overtop a strong funk foundation.
Check out “Act Like You Know” featuring Dee-1, Mannie Fresh, Big Freedia, and Galactic from the Take Me To The River: New Orleans soundtrack. Scroll down for a full tracklist, partial in-studio performance video, and a trailer for the film, which has yet to announce a release date.
Dee-1, Mannie Fresh, Big Freedia, Galactic – “Act Like You Know”
Dee-1, Mannie Fresh, Big Freedia, Galactic – “Act Like You Know” (Teaser)
Take Me to the River: New Orleans (Trailer)
Take Me to the River: New Orleans Soundtrack Tracklist
1. Cyril Neville with Voices of the Wetlands – “In Love with My NOLA”
2. Dee-1, Mannie Fresh, Big Freedia, Galactic – “Act Like You Know”
3. The Neville Brothers with Ivan Neville, Ian Neville, and George Porter Jr. – “(Hey Mama) Wild Tchoupitoulas”
4. Irma Thomas with Ledisi, featuring George Porter Jr., Eric Krasno, Ian Neville, and Ivan Neville – “I Wish Someone Would Care”
5. Dr. John and Davell Crawford – “Jock-A-Mo”
6. Soul Rebels featuring 5th Ward Weebie – “504 Enjoy Yourself”
7. Cyril Neville with Dumpstaphunk – “Street Parade”
8. PJ Morton featuring Cheeky Blakk and the New Breed Brass Band – “New Orleans Girl”
9. Aaron Neville with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band – “Stompin Ground”
10. Walter Wolfman Washington – “Funk is in the House”
11. Snoop Dogg, G-Eazy, William Bell – “Yes We Can Can”
12. Davell Crawford – “We Shall Gather at the River”
13. 79rs – “Wrong Part of Town”
14. New Orleans Drummers – “Lil Liza Jane” *
1. Anders Osborne – “Improvise” *
2. Voices of the Wetlands with Cyril Neville – “Late in the Evening” *
3. Ledisi with George Porter Jr, Ian Neville, and Ivan Neville – “Knockin” *
4. Davell Crawford – “One More Time” *
5. Ani DiFranco with Lost Bayou Ramblers and Roots of Music – “Little Plastic Castles” *
6. Donald Harrison with the Tipitina’s Interns – “Donald’s Tune” *
7. Dr. John – “Someone to Love” *
8. Big Chief Monk Boudreaux with Voices of the Wetlands – “Firewater”
9. Donald Harrison and Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah – “Sand Castle Headhunters”
10. Lost Bayou Ramblers with Ani DiFranco, Walter “Wolfman” Washington, and the Roots of Music – “Blue Moon Special”
11. Donald Harrison and Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah with the Tipitina’s Interns – “When the Saints Go Marching In”
12. Irma Thomas with Cyril Neville, George Porter Jr., Ian Neville and Ivan Neville – “Carnival Time”