Today, the Jimi Hendrix estate announced an upcoming posthumous release from the universally revered late guitarist. The album, entitled Both Sides of the Sky, presents thirteen studio recordings—including ten which have never before been released. This special release is the third volume in a trilogy of albums with Valleys Of Neptune (2010) and People, Hell and Angels (2013), intended to present the best and most significant unissued studio recordings remaining in the Hendrix archive. Both Sides of the Sky will be available March 9th, 2018 via Sony Legacy Recordings on multiple formats, including CD, digital and a numbered, 180-gram audiophile double-vinyl.
The 13-track album compiles material recorded between January 1968 and February 1970. Engineer Eddie Kramer, who worked on every Hendrix project before the guitar legend’s death, co-produced the album with John McDermott and Janie Hendrix, Jimi’s sister. The majority of the material on the album features Billy Cox on bass and Buddy Miles on drums–the lineup that would eventually become Hendrix’s Band of Gypsys.
Several notable guest collaborators highlight the new release. Stephen Stills appears on two of the album’s tracks (a cover of Joni Mitchell‘s “Woodstock” and Hendrix original “$20 Fine). Johnny Winter is also featured on a newly remixed cover of Guitar Slim‘s “Things I Used to Do”. Vocalist/saxophonist Lonnie Youngblood (Hendrix’s pre-fame bandmate in Curtis Knight & the Squires).
As engineer Eddie Kramer stated about the project, “Jimi’s true home was the studio – that’s where the music and the magic happened. He loved everything about recording, and it’s been my distinct pleasure and an honor to play a part in that process both then and now.”
Pre-orders for Jimi Hendrix’s Both Sides of the Sky are live now here.
To learn more about the new release, or to check out other collections of Jimi’s material, head to his website.
Jimi Hendrix – Both Sides of the Sky Track List:
1. “Mannish Boy” (previously unreleased)
2. “Lover Man” (previously unreleased)
3. “Hear My Train A Comin'” (previously unreleased)
4. “Stepping Stone” (previously unreleased)
5. “$20 Fine” (previously unreleased, featuring Stephen Stills)
6. “Power Of Soul” (previously unavailable extended version)
7. “Jungle” (previously unreleased)
8. “Things I Used to Do” (featuring Johnny Winter)
9. “Georgia Blues” (featuring Lonnie Youngblood)
10. “Sweet Angel” (previously unreleased)
11. “Woodstock” (previously unreleased, featuring Stephen Stills)
12. “Send My Love To Linda” (previously unreleased)
13. “Cherokee Mist” (previously unreleased)
[h/t – Rolling Stone]