A vintage 1973 Johnny Cash concert from the Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles, CA is set to be released on vinyl for the first time. The release comes from Jack White‘s Third Man Records which will put out the concert as A Night To Remember as the 45th installment of Third Man’s vault series.
Also included with the double “vintage-white” LP and gold foil LP jacket is a gold 7″ single with an A-side containing “Dark and Bloody Ground” by Ruston Kelly and a B-side featuring a “mystery artist.” Both singles come from the Forever Words compilation, a 2018 collection of Cash’s poetry set to music.
The show comes from May 5th, 1973 on the closing night of a week-long run of shows dubbed “A Week To Remember”, organized by Columbia Records President Clive Davis. All taking place at the Ahmanson Theatre, the concerts combined some of the biggest names in pop, rock, country, jazz, R&B, and more. A young Bruce Springsteen made his L.A. debut in the midst of “A Week To Remember”.
On the final night of the seven-night concert series, The Man In Black was featured on a lineup beside fellow Nashville royalty Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Lynn Anderson, and Charlie Rich. During his performance, Cash ran through some of his signature staples, opening with “Big River” followed by Kris Kristofferson‘s “Sunday Morning Coming Down”, and moving right along through an 18-track selection of classics. Cash would also welcome surprise guest appearances from his wife June Carter Cash as well as fellow Sun Records alumnus Carl Perkins.
In addition to the double LP containing the entire concert is an accompanying DVD. While the disc doesn’t capture the entire set, according to Third Man Records the vintage backstage footage supposedly more than makes up for the incomplete set.
A Night To Remember from Johnny Cash is only available through the Third Man Records subscription service. In order to be eligible to receive the the multimedia bundle, users must sign up for the service by July 31st at midnight CT. Click here for more information. Scroll down to see the full track list.
A Night To Remember Track List
- “Big River”
- “Sunday Morning Coming Down”
- “The City of New Orleans”
- “Ballad of Barbara”
- “A Boy Named Sue”
- “Going to Memphis”
- “That Silver Haired Daddy of Mine” (with Carl Perkins)
- Medley: “Hey Porter”/“Folsom Prison Blues”/“Wreck of the Old 97”/“Orange Blossom Special”
- “I Walk the Line”
- “Jackson” (with June Carter Cash)
- “If I Were a Carpenter” (with June Carter Cash)
- “Help Me Make It Through the Night”
- “Help Me” (with June Carter Cash and Larry Gatlin)
- “Lord, Is It I?”/“The Last Supper”
- “If I Had a Hammer” (with June Carter Cash)
- “Will the Circle Be Unbroken” (with June Carter Cash and Carl Perkins)
- “Daddy Sang Bass” (with June Carter Cash and Carl Perkins)
- “Folsom Prison Blues” (outro)
[H/T Rolling Stone]